Money Grows on Trees is a bold new venture with one simple aim – to help all Australians profit from making the world a better place. It’s a goal embodied in our motto – Save the Planet, Save Money.
We do this by showing households how simple decisions and actions could not only make a big social and environmental impact, but could actually save them money in the long run.
What We Do
We’re a free informational resource for consumers. We provide online calculators, apps and guides that tell you what actions you could take to save money and drive positive change, and how much financial and social impact you could generate through those actions.
How We’re Different
We’re not pure altruists. We see ourselves as different to traditional social and environmental causes in 3 main ways:
- We put the hip pocket first: we’re not going to tell you to do something if we don’t think it can save you money in the long-run. In fact, sometimes we may even tell you to do something that’s not socially or environmentally friendly if the alternatives aren’t worth it.
- We look at the big things: we prefer to focus on those things you can do that can deliver the biggest social, environmental and financial benefits, such as switching to an ethical home loan, selecting the right home heating and cooling systems, and installing rooftop solar panels.
- Actionable and Measurable: we aim to give you clear actions and numbers where possible. We want households to know the impact of their actions on their finances, on society, and on the environment, and we want those actions to be simple to execute.
Our Core Principles
We follow a set of core principles to make sure that what we produce is of high quality, and is relevant and accessible to the average Australian household. Our principles are:
- Invest today to save tomorrow: when it comes to the environment, we believe in paying more today for something that’s energy-efficient, and making up the cost over time through energy savings. Our calculations usually look at savings over 10 years.
- Convenience and practicality: you shouldn’t have to go to extremes to be sustainable and socially responsible. Our recommendations aim to minimise the impact on your lifestyle.
- Independence: We’re not influenced by the interests of any political, environmental or industry groups. We do however encourage scientific bodies and industry to work with us to help enrich the quality of information we deliver.
- Transparent: we’re upfront about the assumptions we make and the information sources we use, so that you can decide for yourself whether to trust it or not. We’re also upfront about any commercial arrangements we have. We always aim to use the most authoritative information sources such as government scientific bodies, universities and independent research institutes.
- 100% Free: all our content is free to the public.
Money Grows on Trees is the brainchild of Aravind Krishnan, a consumer marketing expert with a passion for environmental and social sustainability.
For all the gains that the social and environmental sector has made over the decades, Aravind strongly believes that social and environmental good still hasn’t become an everyday part of out lives. In particular, the sector has failed to dispel the notion that being sustainable and socially responsible comes with increased costs and self-sacrifice.
Money Grows on Trees aims to change that mindset by demonstrating how every Australian can be part of positive social and environmental change in a meaningful way which delivers direct financial benefits to them. It aims to put self-interest – not self-sacrifice – at the heart of what positive change is all about.