Money Grows on Trees is a bold new venture with one simple aim – to help all Australians profit from tackling climate change. It’s a goal embodied in our motto – Save the Planet, Save Money.
We do this by showing households how they can make big cuts to their carbon footprints through simple decisions and actions that save them money in the long run.
What We Do
We’re a free informational resource for consumers. We provide online calculators, apps and guides that tell you what actions you could take, and how much money and CO2 emissions you could save from each action.
How We’re Different
We’re not pure environmentalists. We see ourselves as different to the traditional environmental movement in 3 main ways:
- We put the hip pocket first: we’re not going to tell you to do something if we don’t think it can save you money in the long-run. In fact, sometimes we may even tell you to do something that’s not environmentally friendly if the alternatives aren’t worth it.
- We look at the big things: we prefer to focus on the biggest uses of energy in the home, such as hot water (30% of energy use in most households) and heating and cooling (40% of energy use), rather than little things such as lighting (6% of energy use).
- Actionable and Measurable: we give you clear actions and numbers. We want households to know the impact of each action on their finances and on the environment, and we want those actions to be simple to execute.
Our Core Principles
We follow a set of core principles to make sure that what we produce is of high quality, and is relevant and accessible to the average Australian household. Our principles are:
- Invest today to save tomorrow: we believe in paying more today for something that’s energy-efficient, and making up the cost over time through energy savings. Our calculations usually look at savings over 10 years.
- Convenience and practicality: you shouldn’t have to go to extremes to be sustainable. Our recommendations aim to minimise the impact on your lifestyle.
- Independence: our interests are your interests. We’re not influenced by the interests of any political, environmental or industry groups. We do however encourage scientific bodies and industry to work with us to help enrich the quality of information we deliver.
- Transparent: we’re upfront about the assumptions we make and the information sources we use, so that you can decide for yourself whether to trust it or not. We always aim to use the most authoritative information sources such as government scientific bodies and universities.
- 100% Free: all our content is free to the public.
Money Grows on Trees is the brainchild of Aravind Krishnan, a consumer marketing expert with a passion for environmental sustainability.
For all the gains that the environmental movement has made over the decades, Aravind strongly believes it hasn’t been able to effectively reach middle Australia. In particular, it has failed to dispel the prevailing view that being sustainable comes with increased costs and self-sacrifice.
Money Grows on Trees aims to change that mindset by demonstrating how every Australian can be part of the environmental movement in a meaningful way which delivers direct financial benefits to them. It aims to put self-interest – not self-sacrifice – at the heart of what sustainability is all about.